At RiNo Sign Works we do a lot of neon signs. We frequently get asked to explain the benefits and drawbacks of neon so we thought a blog post to explain would be helpful.
People love the look of traditional neon. It has a timeless feel and the demand for it is still very relevant. Let’s look at some of the benefits of neon:
- Designers love the look of traditional neon and neon offers a lot of versatility
- In the right environment and regular service, neon signs can last a long time
- Real neon is eco friendly as the gas inside is not harmful to the environment
- Neon is easy to read both during the day and at night
- For what you pay for neon it’s a good investment and will pay off for its business for years to come
Neon also comes with some drawbacks. Here are some things to think about before buying a real neon sign:
- Real neon is fragile and can break easily, especially if it is outdoors. One small crack and the entire piece is broken.
- It takes more power to run a real neon sign than a LED sign
- Installing neon is a lot more difficult than a LED sign
- Real neon should be serviced at least once a year
- You are limited on the colors you can use
RiNo Sign Works wanted to come up with some alternatives to real neon, so we offer two alternatives.
The first is a LED rope light that looks very similar to neon.
The second option, is our signature faux neon that we create using acrylic that is pushed through the face of a cabinet/letter and then backed with a translucent vinyl to create the color. We used this style extensively in the Meow Wolf project we just completed for their new location in Denver called Convergence Station. Here are a few examples: